Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sugar Donut Muffins

These little muffins sure do look cute, and I do love an excuse to use my mini donut pan. What better way than with a recipe called sugar donut muffins from Baking Bites. These muffins were tasty, there was no mistaking that. They just weren't what I was expecting. I thought these treats leaned more toward tasting like a muffin rather than a donut. Muffins are great and all, but they are sort of a bummer when you're expecting a donut.

I thought the donuts were pretty light tasting. I had wanted them to be a bit denser and cakeier. That was probably why I wasn't over the moon after the first bite. I added cinnamon to the sugar and butter coating alleviate some of my disappointment. That helped...enough so that I ate 5 of them in a row. I gave the rest of the batch away to save me from myself.

Will there be a next time with these donuts? Blockette says yes, but I think I will keep searching for a more donut-y tasting recipe to make with my donut shaped pan.

Sugar Donut Muffins from Baking Bites
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking power
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk (low fat is fine)
1 tsp vanilla extract

2 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar, for rolling

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil. In a large bowl, beat sugar and egg til light in color. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Pour into egg mix and stir to combine. Pour in veg oil, milk and vanilla. Divide batter evenly into 10 muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake for 15-18 min, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. While muffins baking, melt butter and pour remaining sugar into a small bowl. When muffins done, lightly brush the top of each with melted butter, remove from the pan and roll in sugar. Cool on a wire rack.

Makes 10 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!