Monday, June 7, 2010

Butter Burger

Well, I certainly have been awful at remembering to take pictures of the things I make. I guess I should stop being so hungry at dinner time. When I see the food, all I can think about is eating the food. Photography always ends up as an afterthought. Oh well. That's what your imagination is for right?

Shortly after Mrblocko got his swanky new grill, I did the typical nerdy thing and went to the library to check out books on grilling. Not that I would do any actual grilling on Mrblocko's grill. That is his toy. I don't want to go near it, just like I wouldn't want him to go near my sewing machine. That's MY toy.

Anyhow, in one of the books I checked out, they suggested putting a pat of compound butter in the middle of the uncooked hamburger patty. The butter was supposed to melt and help insure the meat retained its moisture during the cooking process.

So, I softened a stick of butter, and added some chopped parsley, oregano, basil and chives fresh from my rinky dink garden. Then I minced 2 cloves of garlic and mashed all that stuff up with the butter. With the aid of some plastic wrap, I formed that gooey mess into a tube about the same size and shape as the original stick of butter. Then I waited while my fancy butter chilled out in the freezer until it solidified.

I was less that thrilled with the burgers. I guess my expectations were overly high. The assumption I made was that the herbs from the compound butter would flavor the meat. Nope. The burger tasted like an ordinary run of the mill hamburger. It was very moist though.

The thing is, we haven't had a problem with our grill turning out dry hamburgers. I think I'd rather save that compound butter for something where I can appreciate all it's flavors, like on toast. It's scrumptious on toast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!