Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Apple Fritter Pancakes

I've been on this breakfast for dinner kick lately. I've found it's a great way to make dinner inexpensively. Although, after a while I start to get bored with the usual. I was browsing the recipes over at Tasty Kitchen, and found a recipe for apple fritter pancakes. I thought they sounded simple and delicious.

Well, I must have done something wrong because the batter really thin. Since I'm a waffle girl, I'm used to waffle batter. It's nice and thick and easy to work with. I understand that pancake batter is much runnier. This batter was so runny that I had to switch from the griddle pan to a medium size skillet to keep the batter contained. Let me tell you, making pancakes one at a time ain't fun. I felt like I was at the stove for twelve days.

The pancakes did turn out tasting OK. They weren't anything special though. Even though I increased the cinnamon from 1/2 tsp to a heaping tsp and the cloves from 2 pinches to 1/8 tsp, there didn't seem to be any added flavor from the spices.

I won't make these pancakes again. They were just too much work for something so average. If I'm wanting pancakes I guess I'll just stick with the box, or the cinnamon roll pancakes I made back in March.

Apple Fritter Pancakes from Tasty Kitchen
2 cups Your Favorite Pancake Mix
1-⅓ cup Buttermilk
2 whole Eggs
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Sugar
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
½ teaspoons Cinnamon
2 pinches Cloves
1 whole Tart Apple, Peeled, Cored, And Diced

Combine everything except the apples and mix well. Fold in apples and let batter sit for 5 minutes or so while the skillet is heating up. Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle to medium heat. Coat with a little butter, then pour batter in 1/3-cupfuls into pan. When the edges start to look a little dry and bubbles break the surface, flip them over. If you find they’re cooking too fast on the outside, reduce heat to medium low. Because these are denser and have chopped fruit, they might take a little longer to cook all the way through. Serve with warm maple syrup.

Makes about 14 pancake

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!