Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Peanut Butter Blondies

These Peanut butter brownies from Buns in my Oven were the second bar that I made for the Relay for Life bake sale. They were the favorite of the three items I made as they went first. Why wouldn't they. Those mini peanut butter cups are tempting for a peanut butter lover!

I had not made these bars before so I was taking a bit of a risk. I didn't have a back up plan if the bars got burnt or went horribly awry. There was a bit of a panic moment when I was spreading batter into the edges of the pan. They seemed like it they were going to be overly thin. Luckily they poofed up nicely in the oven.

Now I realize that I should have smashed the mini cups into the bars a bit further. Since it was so hot and humid out, it would have prevented the chocolate from getting overly melty and sticking to its wrappings. I'll do that next time.

The melting didn't affect it's deliciousness though. I trimmed up the edges so the bars wouldn't have such an irregular shape. Those scraps certainly couldn't go to waste. I had two very eager helpers. I had to fight to get a taste myself!

Oh, in case you were wondering, a regular bag of mini Reese peanut butter cups contains 38 pieces. This is exactly enough for the recipe. 36 for the bars and two for the baker to chomp on while the bars are cooking!

Peanut Butter Blondies from Buns in my Oven
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
36 mini peanut butter cups (Reese’s are the best!)
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease bottom of 9×13 inch baking dish. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and eggs until well blended. Mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut 12 peanut butter cups into quarters and gently stir into brownie batter along with the chocolate chips. Spread into baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a tester comes out fairly clean. Remove from oven and immediately press remaining peanut butter cups into the top of the brownies in even rows. Allow to cool before cutting and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!