Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pickle Chicken

Ever remember reading about something but you have no idea where you read it? Heh. That's pretty much the story of my life. So, somewhere, and I don't even know if it was on the Internet, I read about things to do with leftover pickle juice. Most of the suggestions seemed pretty weird. There was one that caught my eye, brining a chicken.

I didn't have a whole chicken, or enough pickle juice to brine a whole chicken. What I did have was 4 chicken breasts, and exactly enough pickle juice to brine aforementioned meat. So I dumped the meat and brine into a zip bag and let it marinate in the fridge for about 8 hrs.

Know what I forgot? A briny solution can cook meat. The edges of the meat had cooked!!! I was so afraid that they would be tough and rubbery after grilling. Luckily they were not. Brining a chicken does make the meat moist and tender. I will say that.

If you look at the picture below, you can see that the chicken has a slight yellowish green cast around the edges. Not very appetizing.

So what did the chicken taste like? Are you ready for this? It tasted just like a PICKLE! Very weird. We all like dill pickles so it wasn't horrible...just a bit unusual. We all dipped our chicken in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce and the pickle-y taste was neutralized. Sweet Baby Ray's covers a lot of evils. Or was it...Sweet Baby Ray's is evil? One of the two.

The conclusion drawn from this experiment was that while the chicken was tender, it wasn't any more tender than any other marinaded chicken. If we are going to smother it in BBQ sauce why not just marinate it in BBQ sauce in the first place. If this chicken were to get a grade it would be a C. I won't be making it again

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!