Friday, February 1, 2013

Gingerbread Dutch Baby

I'm the sort of person who plans out her meals a week in advance. Mostly because I only go to the grocery store once a week. It makes things easier for us on busy nights after school if I know what I need to do in the kitchen before we walk in the door.

Sometimes those plans go by the wayside and I wing it. Sometimes Mrblocko has an extra meal set aside for him because he had an appointment, his boss took him out to lunch, or the leftovers stretched out for dinner for only one person.

Instead of making another meal that would generate too much food before we could eat it, I'll make something that serves two people. Usually, this is Blockette's favorite food, egg sandwiches.  This time I decided to switch things up and made a gingerbread dutch baby from My Daily Morsel.


The recipe calls for a 9" skillet that is oven safe.  I don't have one of those, but I do have a 12" one!
So I doubled the recipe and made that big fat baby in a 12"pan.  I thought this would be a bit more filling as a single recipe calls for 2 eggs.  If we were having egg sandwiches, I'd make us each 2 eggs as well.  This and a side of fruit was just right for me and my ravenous daughter.  If you were having lots of other sides, like hashbrowns and sausage and/or bacon, a doubled batch of this batter would probably feed three.

I topped our dutch baby pancake with powdered sugar.  I thought that the maple syrup would overpower the gingerbread flavor.  Of course when I shook on the powdered sugar I told Blockette it was snowing.  She loved that as she is desperately hoping it will snow more than half an inch, and stay on the ground for more than a few hours.  Until (if) that happens, she'll just have to be satisfied with generous dustings of snow in the powdered sugar form.

Gingerbread Pancakes for Two adapted from My Daily Morsel
4 large eggs
2 T brown sugar
1T molasses
2/3 c flour
3/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t ginger
1/4 t cloves
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t kosher salt
2/3 c milk
4 T butter
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 400°F. Place eggs in blender and blend until smooth and pale in color. Add brown sugar, molasses, flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, salt, and milk and blend until smooth. Melt butter in 12 inch ovenproof skillet over high heat, swirling it up the sides to evenly coat the pan. Pour the batter into the skillet and transfer to the oven. Bake 15-20 min, until the pancake is puffed up. Remove from oven, dust with powdered sugar aka snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!