no bake oatmeal pb bars from Brown Eyed Baker to take over to visit my in-laws. We were in a bit of a rush, so I didn't have time to snap a photo before we left the house with them. I figured I'd take a picture of the leftovers when we got home that night. And can you believe it? There were NO leftovers!
My bars looked a little different from the ones on the Brown Eyed Baker website. The chocolate chips in the batter melted after step 4. I think this was a good thing, because it probably helped them set up. It did make the bars a darker chocolate-y brown, without the pretty definition of the oats. I think you could resolve this issue by adding the chips to the batter after pouring on the sugar-butter-milk solution. Either way you mix the bars up, they are addictively delicious.
No Bake Oatmeal PB Bars from Brown Eyed Baker
3 c old-fashioned oats
2 c semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1 c peanut butter
1 t vanilla
2 c sugar
½ c milk (I used skim)
½ c butter
½ t salt
1. Line 9x13 pan w parchment
2. In large bowl, stir oatmeal, 1 c chips, peanut butter and vanilla.
3. In medium pan over med heat, combine sugar, milk, butter and salt. Bring to a full boil with bubbles covering all the liquid. Boil for 2 min. Set a timer. If cooked for took long, bars will be crumbly, if for not long enough bars will be too gooey.
4. Immediately pour hot mix over oatmeal mix. Quickly stir to combine, so all oats are covered. Turn into parchment-lined pan. Press evenly w back of spoon. Sprinkle remaining chips over top. Gently press into top of bars.
5. Allow bars to sit at room temp to set about an hour (Longer if it's humid) Use edges of parchment to lift bars out of pan and cut in squares. Store in airtight container at room temp up to 1 wk.