Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Cinnamon Carrot Lazy Bars

And we have another missed photo opportunity.  This is what happens when you attempt to make a rum cake and it fails miserably.  You go for a classic emergency back up like Lazy bars!

Let's just back up and discuss that rum bundt cake for a second.  I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what went wrong.  I've made the cake before with no problem, and it was amazing.  We were going to my best friend's housewarming party and I thought it would be an awesome dessert to bring along.  They love rum, and this rum cake was super freeking fantastic.  At least, that's what it should have been.

This particular incarnation of this cake was very oily.  Also, the glaze never set up.  As far as I know, I did nothing different.  I can't figure out what went wrong.  The cake tasted ok the next day after it dried out for another 24 hours.  It certainly wasn't anything I'd serve to anyone besides my husband.  (He thought the cake tasted great though.)

So with only a few hours to prepare another dessert, and very few ingredients, including rock hard frozen butter, I settled on Lazy bars.  I was out of chocolate chips or m and ms, but I did have cinnamon chips.  I also had a box of carrot cake mix.  I thought the cinnamon would pair nicely with the carrot cake.  I was right.  The bars set up perfectly and didn't stick to the pan at all.  The were rich, but not sickly sweet.  People even had seconds!

So here is an artist's rendition of what the bars may have looked like:
Yup.
That's exactly what they looked like.
Except...
The bars were a medium brown with small darker brown dots (cinnamon chips) instead of yellow.
They also didn't have large carrots on them.
They WERE in a blue pan though.
So yeah.  Pretty much spot on.

Cinnamon Carrot lazy cake cookies adapted from I'm a Lazy Mom
Carrot cake mix
5T butter
2 Eggs
1 bag Hershey's cinamon chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Melt butter.  Dump in cake mix and eggs.  Once all that is combined, stir in chips. Spray 9x13 pan.  Dump batter in pan and smoosh it all around.  The best way to do this is with wet hands. The dough is going to look like it isn't going to be enough to cover the bottom of the pan.  It's ok to spread it out thin.  Resist the urge to put it in a 9x9 or 8x8 pan.  It will rise in the oven. Bake 20-25 min. Cool before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!