Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Cheesy Potatoes

No, not this sort of cheesy potato.
via

Shredded potatoes mixed with cheese that gets baked in the oven.

My mom makes the best cheesy potatoes.  
The best cheesy potatoes that I do NOT have the recipe for.  

Oh sure I've watched her make them a million times, but other than cream, cheese and shredded potatoes, I have no clue how she makes them.

I wanted to have this recipe with dinner one night over the week and it was grocery day.  
For some reason I thought that recipe would magically fall into my lap.  
My mom was at work and I knew she didn't have access to the recipe in question.  
I didn't want to wait any longer to go to the grocery store, so I called to the internets for assistance.

This recipe for Potatoes Romanoff from Tasty Kitchen seemed quite similar.  
It did call for sour cream instead of cream, so it wasn't exactly the same.  
Still, it was creamy cheesy potato-y goodness. 
You can't hardly go wrong with that.  It really hit the spot.

Potatoes Romanoff via Tasty Kitchen
3 Large Russet Potatoes, Unpeeled
¾ c Minced Shallots (I used a small onion and 2 cloves of garlic, minced)
2-½ c Grated White Cheddar Cheese, Divided
2 t Kosher Salt
¼ t Freshly Ground Pepper
1-½ c Sour Cream

Preheat oven to 425 F. Stab potatoes to vent and bake 50 min until done.  Cool potatoes to room temp and place in fridge overnight. Grate chilled potatoes, including skins.  (This is quickest if you use a food processor.  Just make sure you use the grating blade and not the slicing blade.  That doesn't make things quicker.  Not that I would know or anything.) Combine potatoes, shallots, 1 3/4 c cheese, salt, and pepper in a bowl.  Toss gently with hands.  Fold in Sour Cream. Place in 1 1/2 qt gratin dish, don't press.  You want the potatoes in there gently with room to breathe.   Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.  Bake 350 F til top golden brown, 30 min. Serves 6.


Next time I make this I think I will saute the onions and garlic/shallots before adding to the potatoes.  I will also try a thin coating of bread crumbs sprinkled on top as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!