Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Garden Monkey bread

In the past I have not had the best luck making monkey bread. The center dough always winds up under cooked. I know some people like undercooked biscuit dough from a can. In fact, my best friend has been known to eat it raw. Then again, she doesn't like cilantro so clearly she is broken. Canned biscuit dough should be cooked into a nice fluffy bread. Any other way is just wrong. Just ask me!

It had been quite some time since I had attempted the whole monkey bread thing, so I figured it was time to give it another whirl. I saw this savory version for monkey bread over at Goodness Gracious and thought it sounded fun.

Instead of bacon I used 2 cups of leftover chopped ham.  I also increased the amount of onions from 1/4 c to 3 small onions.  Then I caramelized them.  I left out the green pepper, and just used a red pepper that I had roasted and peeled the skin off of.

This recipe is so versatile that you could really add whatever you wanted.  Basically, if you like it in an omelet, you'd like it in this monkey bread version.

The recipe says to cook the bread for 30-35 minutes.  NOT!!!  Maybe you only cook it for that long if you are a weirdo that likes the raw dough.  After 30 minutes the center of the bread was still raw.  I wound up cooking the monkey bread for a full hour.


 As you can see, after an hour in the oven, the bread is not burnt in the slightest.  Neither is the cheese on top.

And when I unmolded the bread from the bundt pan, the sides are not even dark brown.

Yeah.  That unmolding process didn't work out so well for me.

Even though I sprayed the pan twice with PAM the bread still stuck to the pan.  I even went around all the edges with a plastic butter knife in attempts to loosen it from the pan.  Maybe I should have used PAM with flour instead.

Even though the bread stuck to the pan, it tasted marvelous.  The bread was all buttery and the ham on the edges got a little bit crispy and caramelized like bacon.  Good stuff people!

I was worried about the leftovers, but I heated them up in a 350F oven for 15 min to take the chill off and they were almost as good as they were right out of the oven the first time.

Garden Monkey Bread adapted from Goodness Gracious
4 Pack of Biscuits (7.5 oz)- Cut into thirds
1/4 Cup Melted Butted
1 roasted red pepper, seeded, peeled and chopped
2 c chopped ham
3 small onions, diced and sauteed
1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Pour into greased bundt pan. Bake at 350 F til golden brown, anywhere from 30-60 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!