Monday, June 10, 2013

Light as Air Waffles

Have you ever seen those commercials for the Three Musketeer candy bar? You know the one where the candy bar is so light it floats up into the air?



These waffles from Buns in my oven remind me of that. They were so light and fluffy I thought they were going to soar right off my plate.

It's the added step of beating the egg white and incorporating it into the batter at the end that makes the batter seem weightless.   I think it's this lightness that allows for the exterior of the waffle to crisp up so nicely.


To me, the perfect waffle is crispy on the outside, without being burnt, and fluffy on the inside.  Technically, this should fall in the category of a perfect waffle.  Sadly, I think it misses the mark.

The waffle is almost too light and airy.  Normally, I'm a two waffle sort of girl.  Maybe 2 and a half if I'm really hungry.  I ate 3 and a half and I was STILL hungry.  Blockette ate 3 and a half as well and she was still hungry too.  The recipe only made seven waffles.  Ugh.  We even ate a bunch of fruit too.  Strawberries AND peaches.  Luckily I had some popcorn in the pantry.  We each had a bowl and we finally felt satisfied.

While the waffles were tasty with an awesome crispy exterior, I don't think I'll make them again.  I don't like to put the effort into cooking a meal and not feel full after eating it.

Lighter as Air Waffles from Buns In My Oven
3/4 c flour
1/4 c cornstarch
1/2 t salt
1/2 t t cinnamon
1/8 t nutmeg
1/2 t  baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
3/4 c buttermilk
1/4 c milk
6 T vegetable oil
1 egg, separated
1 T sugar
1/2 t vanilla

Oven to 200°F and heat waffle iron. Mix flour, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and baking soda in med bowl. Measure buttermilk, milk, and oil in measuring cup and add egg yolk. Set aside. In another bowl, beat egg white almost to soft peaks. Sprinkle in sugar and continue to beat until peaks firm and glossy. Beat in vanilla. Pour buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients. Whisk til just mixed. Drop whipped egg white onto  batter in dollops. Fold in til incorporated. Pour batter onto hot waffle iron. Cook til waffle is crisp and brown.Set waffle directly on the oven rack to keep warm and crisp. Repeat with remaining batter, holding the waffles in the oven (don't stack). When all waffles cooked, serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!