Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Coffee Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

I'm not quite sure what happened with this coffee chocolate chip banana bread from Baking Bites. It did not turn out the best. I didn't care for it because it was super dense. Blockette loved it and Mrblocko thought it was good, but not at the top of his list of favorite banana breads. I don't know if the changes I made were the reason why my bread turned out wonky. First, I used 1/4 c applesauce instead of 1/4 c oil. Maybe the oil makes the bread have a lighter crumb. I also used powdered buttermilk instead of the fresh. I've never had powdered buttermilk have a negative effect on a recipe before though.

The recipe said to divide the batter into 2 small bread pans. I was afraid that the pans would overflow if I did that so I put them in 3 pans instead. It was almost as if I had 3 small banana bread bricks! I don't know enough about the chemistry of quick breads to know if the volume of batter in each pan caused the loaves to be so compact.

The last change I made was to use dark chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate. I liked this recipe alteration the best. The dark chocolate and coffee flavors were very complimentary. It was probably the only thing I liked about this bread.

I froze one of the loaves and it was no worse (or better) for wear. Blockette still liked it but I ended up tossing most of it out because it got forgotten in the back of the fridge. I won't make this recipe again. There are banana bread recipes out there that are much tastier than this one.


Coffee Chocolate Chip Banana Bread from Baking Bites
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 packet Starbucks Via, or 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 medium bananas, mashed (approx 1 cup)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease two two 5×3-inch loaf pans (or use disposable foil pans). In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, Via or instant espresso, sugar and brown sugar. In a medium bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, vegetable oil, buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract until smooth and well-combined. Pour into dry ingredients and stir only until no streaks of flour remain. Add in chocolate chips and stir to evenly distribute. Divide evenly into prepared pans. Place pans in a baking sheet. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack.

Makes 2 mini loaves
Note: This bread can be baked in a 9×5-inch loaf pan, increasing the baking time to about 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. Applesauce??? Short story: years ago (post Mayflower landing) a grandma used to make a tasty fruitcake (don't laugh) made with rum. She decided to sub PRUNE JUICE(!) and that, I beieve,is when fruitcake became the joke it is today. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!