Monday, December 28, 2009

Santa's Whiskers


Ok. This is the last of the Christmas cookies I made this year. Finally. I don't know about you but I am sick of writing and reading about sweets. I'm really jonesing for some veggies and stews to bring me out of my sugar induced stupor.

Anyhow...let's get this over with. Santa's whiskers are another one of those cookies I remember my mom making year after year. I think nearly all the cookies I make are shades of brown or white. The reddish pink is a nice festive contrast on a cookie plate.

I don't know where my mom got her recipe from. I've made a few minimal changes here and there to her recipe, because I prefer a moister chewier cookie. If you want a crisper cookie I've included instructions for that as well in the recipe below.

Santa's Whiskers
1c butter
1 c sugar
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 c flour
3/4 c (10 oz jar) finely chopped maraschino cherries, juice reserved
3T reserved cherry juice
1/2 c finely chopped pecans
3/4 c flaked coconut (I used over a cup...I like lots of coconut.)

Cream butter and sugar. Blend in extract. Stir in flour, cherries and nuts. Add juice to make dough desired color and texture. I like a pink wet dough. It results in a softer cookie. If you like a more crunchy cookie, omit the juice, or bake the cookie for longer. Form the dough into 2 logs. Roll logs in coconut. Wrap logs in wax paper and chill overnight. Slice logs into 1/4 inch thick circles. (The thinner you cut these the more crisp they turn out.) Bake in an oven preheated to 375 F for 10-12 minutes depending on desired crispness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!