Monday, January 30, 2012

Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies

Because I can't leave well enough alone, and I'm always curious about new recipes, I decided to make these brown sugar puffy cookies from Let's Live la Vida.
Now, they don't look very puffy in the picture, but I assure you they are puffier than the standard Toll House Chocolate Chip cookie.  Mine would have been fluffier, but I think I let my butter get too soft.

The main difference between this recipe and the one from Toll House is that this one requires a lot more brown sugar.  The Toll House calls for 3/4c each brown and white sugar, while this one has 1 1/2 c brown sugar and 1/4c white sugar.  This recipe also has a higher ratio of flour to butter: 3.5c flour to 2 sticks vs. 2.25c flour to 2 sticks.

How did the flavor stack up?  As expected, the brown sugary recipe had more of a caramely taste to it.  Personally, I didn't think it was any better or worse than the Toll House, just different.  Mrblocko thought these cookies had a crispier outside edge, although that could have been do to the overly warm butter.

While these cookies were good (scrumptious even), and were gobbled up quickly, they still don't hold a candle to the Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies from Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives.  Those babies are still my personal favorites.  I think it has to do with their almost raw cookie dough like interior.  For me, that's hard to top.

If you'd like to try a new chocolate chip recipe, give this one a whirl!  Let me know what you think, and how it stacks up to your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.  

Fluffy Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies from Let's Live la Vida
2 sticks butter, softened
1/4 c granulated sugar
1 1/2 c brown sugar
2 eggs
2 t vanilla
3 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t baking soda
3/4 t salt
9 1/2 oz good-quality milk chocolate, chopped (I used a whole bag of semi sweet chips)

1. Using mixer equipped with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on med-high til fluffy, about 5-7 min. Scrape down sides of bowl when necessary. Continue mixing while adding eggs one at a time, fully incorporating each egg. Add vanilla .
2. In med bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. With mixer on low speed, slowly add flour mix. Mix til just combined, ensuring not to over mix. Using a spatula, fold in chips.
3. Using a small ice cream scoop(I used a large one), place cookies 1" apart on sheet. Gently press down dough balls with palm of hand. Bake 360F for 12 min. Remove from oven and allow to bake  2 min on baking sheet. Place on a rack to cool.

5 comments:

  1. They look great. I love cookies and they love my thighs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrsblocko

    I am thrilled to hear that you made my cookies. Even though they are not as puffy as you would have liked, they look wonderful to me. I am still on the hunt for the perfect chocolate chip cookie, but this one is definitely a delicious option to have on hand. I will be following your blog and I hope you stop by again sometime.

    Maral

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by today.:) You should try the Levain copy cat cookies I linked on this post. They make huge cookies with a doughy center. Not everyone likes that sort of thing though. For example, my best friend likes crispy cookies. Not really my thing, but to each their own.

      Delete
  3. Well congrats on the food safety course! Let me know how your cookies turn out if you give the recipe a test drive. Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!