Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Last minute cornbread muffins

The other day M's mom was a bit later than usual to pick him up. It was about 5:30 and I thought that some corn bread would be a tasty addition to dinner. So I did a quick search on cornbread. I quickly realized that cornbread would take longer than I was willing to spend. But then, I had the thought about corn muffins. I settled on this recipe for cornbread muffins from Eat at Home.
It's a basic, quick, no frills recipe. Nothing knock you off your feet special, but it made the perfect accompaniment to our leftover chili dinner

The cornbread was also tasty wrapped in a paper towel,  reheated in the microwave for 15 seconds, for breakfast the next day.  Almost as good as the first time around.


Cornbread Muffins from Eat at Home
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 stick butter, melted (4T)
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk

Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl. Stir sugar into melted butter. Add egg and milk. Pour wet into dry ingredients and stir, just to combine. Divide into 12 greased muffin cups. (I used a cookie scooper.) Bake at 425F for 15-20 minutes.  (Mine were done at 16 minutes and I let them cool 5 min in the pan before turning them out onto a cooling rack.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked the muffins! They are simple and humble, but sometimes that's just what you need :) Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the fancy stuff, with corn and cheese and whatnot, has it's place, but on this day, this cornbread muffin was perfect. I'm really glad I came across your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!