Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chad's Cheater Cheater Veggie Soup

My friend Chad gave me this Vegetable soup recipe ages ago and I finally got around to making it.  I have no idea where he got the recipe from, so let's just say he made it up himself.  Hooray! 

It's the easiest thing ever. Are you ready for it?
Into your crockpot dump:
1 can each of canned corn, peas, beans, carrots, and sliced potatoes-undrained
1 bottle of V8 Regular or spicy(I'm not sure on the size, I think it was the 32 oz bottle)
1T Chicken seasoning (Um, I used chili seasoning/Penzeys Arizona Dreaming because my handwriting is so awful.  I thought it said chili.  Whoops.)
1t each onion and garlic powders

Let the concoction brew for 2 hours on high.  Then add 2 large spoonfuls of giardiniera. And 2-3 T  sugar to balance the heat from the giardiniera and the acidity of the tomato.

That's it!
We had our soup with some country ribs on the side.  Heaven forbid if we don't eat meat at every meal.
The verdict on the soup from Mrblocko that it was good, but he'd rather eat soup with meat in it.  We have mostly made the switch from eating canned veggies to fresh or frozen, so the taste and texture of the canned stuff was unfamiliar to our palates.

Did you know that I had never heard of giardiniera before I moved to Illinois?  I was talking to my mom about this recipe and she had no idea what it was.  If you don't know either, Giardiniera is an Italian mix of spicy pickled vegetables.  They use it a lot on Italian Beef, which are popular in and around Chicagoland.  I really don't care for them so go figure. 

The giardiniera was good in the soup though.  Added a tiny bit of heat to the mix.  It probably would have packed more of a punch if I had used the hot stuff.  I wanted Blockette to eat it though, so mild it was.

Anyhow, I think this soup has good bones, but there are a few things I'll change the next time I make it.  Instead of the Chicken Seasoning (or ahem...chili seasoning), I think I will try some beef flavoring. Beef and tomato pair quite nicely together.  I think this will give the soup a richer taste. 

Next time I'll also swap out the canned stuff for frozen corn, beans and peas.   I'll also add some fresh diced potatoes, carrots, garlic, onions and celery.  The combination of the frozen and fresh veggies will give the soup a bit more texture, something that we missed with the canned stuff. 

Finally, I'd add tubettini, or some other small cut pasta suitable for soups.  I think this will help thicken up the broth as well.  I've become accustomed to a thicker, less brothy soup, probably from all the bean purees I've been using lately.

Thank you again Chad for your Cheater Cheater Veggie Soup recipe! 

4 comments:

  1. Yummy soup! I have very slowly been working on my husband to enjoy soup. To get there I have to start more with stews... sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stews are the way to go to get the hubby into eating soup. You start out with something that is so thick a spoon can stand up in it and work your way to more broth-y-ness from there. That's what I did at least. I never would have attempted to serve an all veggie soup 4 years ago, even with meat on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the V8 is in a 46 ox container, and so far I haven't tried any other brand. we have ample supply of canned veggies, so this is perfect for that as well. I will try the beef bullion next time. Maybe you can stick a slim jim into it and tell him it's for stirring ;)

    I have a great ham and bean soup recipe that is super thick depending on how you make it if you want the recipe, Out In Them Sticks :) Also a thick and chunky chili crock pot recipe, just let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure that a slim jim actually counts as a "meat." Kind of like that time when Mrblocko and I had a discussion as to whether or not bacon is classified is a condiment or a meat. I'm pretty sure I won that battle as we are having bacon and waffles for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!