Friday, January 27, 2012

Parmesan Chicken casserole

Are you a cheater McCheaterpants like me? Are you a lazy Magee?  I fully and freely admit that I am and love to take a shortcut if at all possible to save time and effort. In particular, I hate frying things, but I do like Chicken Parmesan.  Normally that would be a problem as the usual Chicken Parmesan requires frying.  With oil.  That pops up and gives you burny hurty ungoodness.

OH ho!  Not anymore though.  This recipe for Parmesan chicken over at Food wishes needs no dangerous cooking in boiling oil.  The whole thing is more like a casserole, and it gets baked in the oven.  How simple is that?!

Here's what it looks like right out of the oven.  Silly me forgot to take a picture of the darn thing served up on a plate.  (Head over to Food Wishes if you are curious.)
The big secret ingredient in this dish is garlic croutons. Yes!  Croutons.  They are what gives the dish that breaded crispy fried fake out flavor.

Here's what you need to do: (In case you are too lazy to watch the video over at Food Wishes)


Cheater cheater Chicken Parmesan Casserole from Food Wishes
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
hot red pepper flakes, to taste
5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups marinara sauce
1/4 cup chopped basil (or dried)
8 oz mozzarella, shredded
4 oz Parmesan, grated
1 (5-oz) package garlic croutons

Coat a 9x13 pan with olive oil.  Sprinkle on the garlic and red pepper flakes.   Place your chicken breasts on top of the oil and garlic in the pan so they don't overlap.  I like to pound the chicken flat first between plastic wrap.  This way all the chicken is an even thickness and will cook at the same rate.  Next, pour on the red sauce, covering the chicken evenly. (Like the gentleman over at Food Wishes, I didn't measure the 2 cups out.  I didn't want to have to wash out a measuring cup either, so I just eyeballed it.)  Sprinkle on the Basil and half the cheeses.  Next dump on the croutons, spreading them out evenly over the cheese.  Top with the remaining cheese. Bake 350F for 35 min-1 hour or until your chicken reaches 155F with a meat thermometer.  Let the meat sit for 10 min before serving.  Shove your face and enjoy your lack of effort!

2 comments:

  1. I made this yesterday for us and a friend who just had a baby and it was a BIG hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it. Thanks for stopping by to let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!