Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ding Dong Cake

A cake for Ding Dongs? Well, I mean we are pretty goofy, so one might refer to us as Ding Dongs. But no. This is not a cake just for weirdos. It's a cake fore everyone, that tastes like a Ding Dong. I found this awesome ding dong cake recipe from Just a Pinch Recipe Club.

On the outside it seems like an ordinary chocolatey cake...

But then when you cut into it....
layers of creamy filling!  

Ooooo!  It's the Clark Kent/Superman of cakes.  Able to bound single buildings in a tall leap.  Um...wait.
Never mind.

The filling is made up of the combined goodness of butter, powdered sugar, cream cheese and Cool Whip. Yeah. Sigh. It's pretty awful.  And by awful, I mean awful good.

You will find yourself with an insane amount of cream filling. Go ahead and heap it on the cake.  I thought I had heaped it on, but if you check out the picture above, that bottom layer seems a bit skimpy.

I took the extra filling mixture and blended it with the frosting.  This made the frosting really gooey.  I was  afraid it was going to ooze right on off the cake.  It never did, but I could tell it was really thinking about it. I did yell at it and told it to behaver itself.  So you just might want to try that, for safety's sake.

Even with a thick layer of frosting on the exterior of the cake, I had a hefty amount of leftover frosting. I may or may not have eaten the leftovers smeared on graham crackers.  I have no witnesses to this except the cats.  I've bribed them with kitty treats, so they aren't talking.

Incidentally, this was the cake I was going to make for my bloggy birthday, but then Easter got in the way with all it's Easter Basket goodness.  I made it for when my father-in-law came to visit.  I think he was expecting this cake instead.  Of course he didn't come out and tell me that beforehand, which would have been helpful.  I'm pretty sure this was an OK consolation prize.  He didn't seem to have any trouble eating the ginormous slice my husband plunked down in front of him.


Ding Dong Cake from Just a Pinch Recipe Club
1 box devils food cake mix
8 oz cream cheese softened
3 c powdered sugar
1 stick butter softened
8 oz cool whip
1 tub milk chocolate icing (or dark chocolate like I did if that's your thang)

Prepare and bake cake as directed on box. (2 round cake pans)

Filling: Mix and cream the butter and cream cheese. Add powdered sugar and fold in cool whip.

After cake is completely cooled split layers and spread filling on each layer and stack, do not spread filling all the way to the edge of the cake, the weight of the cake will press it out to the edge once you are finished, this keeps the filling from mixing with the icing. You will be able to put a thick layer of filling between the layers. Don’t be stingy.

If you have any filling left over you can mix it with the icing. Ice entire cake with the chocolate icing. Store cake and it's leftovers in the fridge.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I love that it looks like an ordinary cake from the outside. I bet it tastes amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Ding Dongs - this cake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's seriously good. It's a fun way to make the ordinary chocolate cake from a mix into something special.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!