Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mandarin Orange Cake

This cake also goes by the name of Pig pickin' cake. I have no idea why. The name just makes me giggle. If you are like me, you can count this cake as a serving of fruit. Not only is there decorative Mandarin oranges adorning the top of the cake, but there is crushed mandarins inside the cake, and crushed pineapple in the frosting. How does that not count as a serving of fruit?

I made this cake to take over to my Mother-in-laws for lunch. Well, not for lunch. For dessert after lunch. So you can only imagine my horror when I was baking the cake and the top got dark. VERY dark. There were tears and screams people. Tears and screams.

While the cake cooled I went through my recipe binder and searched for a back up dessert. I think I found a few, but I was not a happy camper. Once the cake had cooled I took my trusty purple serrated bread knife and cut the dark top off the cake. Oh! it looked nice and wonderful inside. Mrblocko, Blockette and I even tested the "dark" part I cut off. It was good, even though it was over cooked!

I breathed a huge sigh of relief. That is, until I realized that I was going to transport this cake for over an hour unrefrigerated and the frosting was cool whip based. Uh oh. So, I crossed my fingers and put the cake in the freezer overnight and didn't take it out until right as we were going to leave. I also put ice packs around the cake in the cake carrier.

I stuck the cake into my Mother-in-law's fridge as soon as we walked in the door. And guess what? The cake did not slide, shift or melt. It was perfectly defrosted by the time we cut into it as well. Another huge sigh of relief!

Everyone liked the cake. (Or at least they were polite and said they did.) The cake is very sweet, so be aware of that if you are not big on super sweet desserts. Even with the cake being so rich, and someone else bringing a pie for dessert as well, there was only a single slice left of the cake. I'd say that was a success.

Head over to Mommy's Kitchen to see the full recipe for Mandarin orange cake.
1 - 18.25 oz butter recipe cake mix
1/2 - cup vegetable oil
1 - can (15 oz ) mandarin oranges, undrained & separated
3 - eggs

Add cake mix, oil, eggs and mandarin oranges with liquid to a large mixing bowl. Separate a few of the mandarin oranges aside for garnish. (6-8 segments). Mix cake ingredients using an electric mixer. Pour into two greased and floured round cake pans.

Bake at 350F for 30 min til golden brown and cake springs back. Remove from oven and let cool in pans 10 min. Remove from pans and cool completely on a baking rack. Frost when cakes are completely cooled.

Frosting:
1 - can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, undrained
1- 3.4 oz box vanilla or french vanilla instant pudding mix
13 - ounces cool whip (thawed) whipped topping

Prepare frosting by adding dry pudding mix and un drained pineapple together and mix with a spoon. Fold in cool whip until well blended. Frost both layers and sides of cake. Garnish with remaining mandarin orange segments. Keep refrigerated before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Have you made that for us before? my mouth is watering, and seeming to think that is a very moist cake. if you haven't made that before for a get together, can you please?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!