Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Crockpot Pineapple Chicken Enchiladas

Ah finally...enchilada success.
After my last two enchiladas were massive failures (see here and here), I was a bit leery to try a new recipe.  Even Mrblocko shuttered a bit when I told him he was bringing enchiladas to work with him for dinner.    I had to reassure him that this batch was actually really really good!

I made a few very minor changes to the recipe which gave me an insane amount of filling!  First, the chicken breasts were huge.  I'm guessing 4 would have been enough to equal 6 non mutant chicken breasts.  Next, I added a cup of cooked pinto beans, along with 1 1/2 c of cooked quinoa.  I really wanted to bump up the protein in this dish.  Finally, I added a few seasonings, which obviously didn't increase the volume of the dish to anything measurable, but I just felt like mentioning it.

With all those add ins, the pineapple flavor really got lost.  Next time I think I will add a can of crushed pineapple, and a drained can of pineapple chunks.  I bet a can of green chilies would be tasty too.

Pineapple Chicken Burritos adapted from Real Mom Kitchen
6 fresh or frozen chicken breasts
1-2 (20-ounce) cans crushed pineapple, drained (I didn't do this. If I make this with 2 cans of pineapple, I will drain them)
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained (I used 3 cups)
1 c cooked pinto beans
2 cups medium salsa (needs to be medium or it will be too bland)
2t cumin
1 t each: onion and garlic powder
2-3 cups cooked rice
1 1/2 c cooked quinoa
10-12 burrito sized flour tortillas
1-2  (10 oz) cans green enchilada sauce
1-2 cups shredded cheddar/Monterrey jack blend (I used pepper jack)

Place the chicken in the crock pot and top with the ingredients up to, but not including the cooked rice. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Remove the chicken and shred. Mix the chicken back into the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients. Mix in the cooked rice and quinoa.

I filled 8 regular sized tortillas with 1/3 c each of filling. Allow the remaining mixture to cool.Place the filled burritos in a 9×13 pan. Pour 1 can of the green enchilada sauce over the burritos, or more if you like it that way. Top with 1-2 cups shredded cheese and place under the broiler on the middle rack until the cheese is nice and melted.

With the remain cooled filling mixture, place it in a gallon sized freezer bag and freeze for another meal. (I measured out 8 third cup portions and placed them in freezer bags. I had enough for 3 more casseroles.) You can also place the remaining tortillas and shredded cheese in separate freezer bags to freeze along with the mixture for a future meal if you would like. To use the frozen meal, thaw the filling, tortillas and cheese and reheat the filling mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!