Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pina Colada Sorbet

Ugh. I made this sorbet at the beginning of the summer and somehow forgot to write about it.
The recipe for this pina colada sorbet is from Back to Her Roots.  Well at least the original is.  Of course I switched the recipe up a bit.

I had made my own coconut milk with a recipe I found over at Whole New Mom.  That didn't work too well as I have a sad wimpy blender.  I don't recommend doing this unless you have a good blender.  A bad blender will give you chunky coconut milk.  It turns out chunky coconut milk isn't so bad in sorbet.  It's really not the best on your breakfast cereal though. 

Another downside to poorly made coconut milk vs the canned stuff you can buy at the store is the consistency.  Mine was quite thin and that canned stuff is so thick and creamy.  Using the canned stuff would probably have resulted in a creamier sorbet.

The last change I made to the recipe was to add some booze.  I had some Malibu so why not!  More coconut-y goodness right?  Besides, the alcohol helps prevent the frozen mixture from getting as hard as a brick.  Well, it's supposed to anyhow.  I think I needed a full cup of the Malibu, not just 1/4 c.  I'll try that out next time.

Pina Colada Sorbet adapted from Back to her Roots
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 c Malibu (I'll use 1 cup next time)
1-20 ounce can crushed pineapple (I used chunked pineapple as it was going into the blender anyhow)
1-13.5 ounce can coconut milk (13 oz home made coconut milk, strained)
1/4 cup lime juice (this was exactly the juice of 1 lime)
1 teaspoon vanilla

combine the sugar, water and booze in a small saucepan.  Boil on med heat for about 3 minutes.  Set aside to cool. In a blender add pineapple, coconut milk, lime juice and vanilla.  Blend until smooth and frothy.  Transfer to a bowl and whisk in boozy syrup. Cover and chill in the fridge for 3 hours.  Once the mixture is completely cool, add to your ice cream maker per manufacture's instructions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!