Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Lazy Bars

There's nothing wrong with being lazy. Particularly when it is hot outside and you want a baked dessert but don't want to spend a lot of time heating up the house with the oven.

And there is also nothing wrong with being so lazy that you don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen preparing said dessert. When it's hot out, I don't really want to move to change the channel on the TV let alone mix up a bunch of junk to make something to eat.
This is why lazy cake cookies from I'm a Lazy Mom, is so totally awesome. You will need:
Cake mix (I used Duncan Hines French Vanilla cause that's what I had)
5T butter
2 Eggs
a bag of chips or m and m's to equal about 2 cups

First, preheat your oven to 350F.
Melt the butter.  (I like to do this in my largest microwaveable bowl so I only have 1 thing to clean.)
Dump in the cake mix and eggs.  Once all that is combined, stir in your chocolate pieces.

(Wouldn't it be more seasonally appropriate if I had red, white and blue M and M's?  Sure, but this was what I found hidden in the back of my pantry.  Easter M and M's.  Work with me here people.)

Spray or grease a 9x13 pan.  Dump the batter in the pan and smoosh it all around.  (I did this with a spatula I sprayed with cooking spray to save my sanity.  The dough is really sticky.) 

The dough is going to look like it isn't going to be enough to cover the bottom of the pan.  It's ok to spread it out thin.  Resist the urge to put it in a 9x9 or 8x8 pan.  This will drastically increase your cooking time, and that will defeat the purpose.  Remember it's not cake, its a bar.  Besides, it will rise in the oven.

Bake for 20-25 min.  We let ours cool completely before eating, but I bet it would be awesome warm out of the pan with a big scoop of ice cream too!

8 comments:

  1. Yum! I love the colors ;) I'm mostly impressed that you still had those around! :D I'm making some some now - wish me luck! Thanks for posting about these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well they were really really buried in the back of the pantry! Good luck with your baking. Let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Took your advice about smooshing it into the right size pan, and used my hands dipped in water to even out the batter and keep it from sticking to me. I also lined the pan with parchment paper, then greased it....so I can lift the cookie out of the pan and put it on a cake board. Then I'm planning to do borders and the birthday boy's name like the Cookie Cakes you see in the stores =o) Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad this recipe worked out for you. I use the wet hands trick for other things, but for some reason it didn't occur to me with this dessert. I'm going to do that next time. One less dish to wash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is the consistency of this more like a cookie or a cake?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is the consistency odd this now like a cookie bar or a cake?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is definitely like a cookie bar and not cake like. It may seem weird that something made with cake mix is not cake-y but it really works.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!