Friday, March 28, 2014

Cheerios Bars

These Cheerios Cereal Bars, from Averie Cooks, make a great little snack for the lunch box.

I used regular Cheerios, almonds, raisins, craisins, chocolate and peanut butter chips.  I chose plain cheerios because I thought the bar would be too sweet with the honey nut Cheerios that the recipe called for.  I chose the rest of the add ins because they were what I had handy in the pantry.

I tried using corn syrup instead of honey in hopes that they would be sturdier than the bars that are mentioned in Averie Cooks.  I don't think they are.  I store the bars in the freezer, and while they don't fall apart by lunch, they are quite soft.  Personally, I prefer the bars right from the freezer.  I like the crunch!


Cheerios Cereal Bars from Averie Cooks
1/4 c butter
1/4 c honey or corn syrup
1/4 c brown sugar
1 T vanilla
3 c Cheerios
1 1/2 c misc add ins: nuts, trail mix, chocolate chips, dried fruit, etc

Line 8" sq pan w foil leaving overhang, spray w pam. In lg micro-safe bowl, combine butter, honey, and sugar. Nuke 1 min. Stir. Mix will be grainy. Nuke 1 more min. Stir. Nuke 1 another minute. Stir. Be careful as at this point the goo will be hot and boiling,  Do not touch molten goo. Add vanilla carefully as the goo will bubble up. Stir in cereal. Fold in add ins.  Pour into prepared pan and press w spatula to smooth out.  Cover w plastic wrap and chill 3-8 hrs to set before cutting into 12 pieces.  Store in fridge or freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!