Friday, March 7, 2014

Cheeseburger Casserole

There must be something about having Cheeseburger in the name of the dish that causes me to forget to take a picture.

via

I forgot to take a picture when I made Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup, and I forgot again when I made this Cheeseburger Casserole from Six Sisters Stuff

The soup was such a big hit with Blockette, I figured the casserole would be as well.  However, when I was preparing the casserole, it seemed like it would be lacking in the flavors we desired.  I took a hint from the soup recipe and added some paprika and Worcestershire sauce.

While we still think the Cheeseburger soup outranks this casserole, it was a fun spin on the flavor combinations we love so much.

Cheeseburger Casserole adapted from Six Sister's Stuff
3 cups Penne Pasta
2 t olive oil
2 small onions, finely chopped
1/2 roasted red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 lb lean ground beef (95% lean) - or you can use ground turkey
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2t smoked paprika
1/2 t garlic powder
2T Worcestershire sauce
28 oz diced tomatoes (I used roasted)
2 T Dijon Mustard
2 c grated cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray 9x13 baking dish. Cook pasta according to package . Drain Well.

In large skillet, heat oil over med-low heat. Add onions and red pepper.  Cook til soft, about 5 min. Stir in garlic and cook 30 sec. Stir in beef and cook until browned; season w pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Add tomatoes, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Let mixture bubble until it is slightly thickened, about 2 min.

Put noodles in greased pan and pour meat sauce on top. Slightly mix noodles and sauce. Cover with foil and cook 20 min. Take out of oven and remove foil. Add cheese to top and bake 15 min til cheese is melted.  Let stand 10 min before serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!