Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Orange Kalhua Chicken

I was getting a little bored with the usual chicken so I checked out The 15 Minute Chicken Gourmet, by Paulette Mitchell, from the library. It didn't prove to be an overwhelming source of new, mind blowing chicken recipes, but I did find a recipe for Orange Kahlua Chicken that sounded very promising.

Back when I worked at a marketing company, sometimes my boss would take the entire team out to lunch. These lunches always included drinking. Since I am the lightest featherweight drinker ever on the planet (ie just wave the alcohol under my nose and I'm tipsy), and we had to go back to work after lunch, I never partook. One of my co-coworkers had a martini called a Tootsie Roll. This particular recipe contained: vodka, Kahlua and orange juice. I thought that it sounded like a disgusting combination, but she assured me that it tasted just like the tootsie roll candy.

I immediately thought of that luncheon when I spied that recipe for Orange Kahlua chicken. Besides, I had a ton of leftover Kahlua from a cake I made over Christmas, so it was nice to find another use for the booze.

Turns out, the orange and Kahlua are a great combination. It didn't make the chicken taste like a tootsie roll candy though, which is something I was slightly concerned would happen. I guess the magic in that drink happens with the vodka?

The chicken turned out very moist as well. Whether that was from the recipe, or because I cooked it for the correct amount of time, I have no idea.

If you're stuck in a chicken rut, give this recipe a try. It even got a double thumbs up from Blockette.

Orange Kahlua Chicken from "The 15 min Chicken Gourmet" by Paulette Mitchell
3/4 c Orange Juice
1/3 c Kahlua
1 t Orange zest
2 T flour
1/8 t pepper
pinch of salt
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in 1" strips
1 T olive oil

Mix first 3 for sauce in small bowl. Set aside. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow plate. Pat chicken dry, then coat in flour. Heat oil in large pan over medium high heat. Arrange in a single layer. Cook until brown but not cooked though, about 2 minutes on each side. Reduce heat to medium. Pour sauce over chicken. Cook the chicken for about 8 minutes or until cooked all the way through turning once.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!