Sunday, August 21, 2011

'11 Happy Dance #18: Lunch Napkins

My daughter is obsessed with napkins. She freaks out a bit if she doesn't have one provided for her at a meal. I should probably be grateful that she doesn't want to have sticky hands or dirty face.  Maybe that should be my mantra when she flips out.

Anyhow, since Blockette developed her passion for napkins, we started using cloth napkins at meals.  I figured if I didn't start doing that I'd be spending the bulk of my grocery budget on paper towels.

Very shortly, Blockette is going to be in first grade, and eating lunch at school for the first time.  While we have enough napkins for meals at home, we didn't have enough for home and Blockette to take to school.  Besides, I didn't want Blockette taking the fancy napkins to school and potentially loosing them.  Then I remembered the stack of flannel baby blankets at the bottom of the linen closet from when Blockette was a baby.
Viola!  Instant napkins.  I got 8 napkins from 1 blanket.  They are the size of the "half" paper towel on the select-a-size roll.  This is what I would have packed in her lunch bag if I hadn't made these napkins.  I think eight napkins should be more than enough to last her between laundry days.

I was so lazy that I just zig-zaged the edges on the sewing machine. The napkins were going to get serged, but I had black thread on my serger. I didn't feel like fighting with the machine. The possibility of threading the machine wrong and having to thread it multiple times seemed like more effort than I wanted to exert.  Plus, the sewing machine already had white thread in it.  Yeah, like I said, LAZY!

I know things sent to school should be labeled with your child's name so they are less likely to wind up "accidentally" with another child.  Do you think I should embroider her name on one corner, or just be lazy and label it with a sharpie?  I like to embroider stuff, but I also like to be lazy.  What's your vote?

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure she would love her name embroidered on the napkins. I can see her swelling with pride telling the lunch ladies "My mom MADE this napkin for me AND it has my name on it!"

    So much for laziness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. Yeah. I can totally see that happening. Look like I have a busy few days ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!