Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pepperoni Pasta Salad

The Pasta salad from Buns in my Oven was a fun salad to make. Pizza in salad form?  AW yeah!  Pizza flavors and I don't have to heat up the house?  Double yeah!

I saw the recipe, bookmarked it, and the next week they had bags of mini pepperoni on clearance for 50 cents!!! Why? I have no clue.  The expiration date was weeks away.  I'm just kicking myself that I didn't buy more than one bag and freeze them. The following week, they were no where to be seen.  Oh well.  Live and learn.
I did change the proportions of the ingredients from the original recipe to suit our tastes.  Here is how I made the salad.

*about 9-10 oz pasta, (slightly more than half a box) cooked and cooled (I used a mixture of gemelli and medium shells because it was what we had in the pantry.)
*half a jar of whole green olives with pimentos (I used the whole olives because I told Blockette she wouldn't have to eat any olives and I thought they would be easier to pick out.  I just dumped in olives until it looked like enough green throughout the salad.)
*A small can sliced black olives (I would have used whole olives, but I already had the sliced ones in the pantry.)
*About 1 c shredded sharp cheddar
*1/3 c zesty itallian dressing
*whole bag of mini pepperoni
*1/4 of a softball sized red onion, thinly chopped  (They only had the freaky mutant ones at the store.  Use whatever you can find.)

Dump all the ingredients into a bowl and combine.  Let the salad chill in the fridge for a few hours before serving if possible to let the flavors combine.

5 comments:

  1. I initially thought that James would love this, then I read the ingredients. My husband is too picky ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from the onions, what else in this does he not like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. olives. My mostaccioli recipe was severely butchered when I started feeding him. No onions, no green peppers, no olives, no mushrooms. Well, no mushrooms until he gets enough life insurance Mwahahahahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well he could always do what Blockette did and pick the olives out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you liked this! It's one of my favorite summer sides! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!