Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Party

Last weekend we had a birthday party for Miss Blockette.  This was the first real party that she's had.  We told her that she could invite 9 friends.  It took her almost a month to narrow down who she wanted to invite.  I really expected half the kids we invited to show up, but only one wound up not being able to make it.  I guess that's what happens when you have a party the weekend before school starts...everyone is home and looking for something to do.

One of the biggest struggles with this party was that Blockette's best friend "M" is a boy.  And a boy who doesn't like "girly stuff" to boot.  Guess what kind of party Blockette wanted?  Yeah, super girly.  I continually had to remind her how "M" would not have fun at that kind of party.


We finally came to a compromise of a rainbow theme.  Yeah rainbows are sort of girly, but not nearly as girly as princesses, fairies or unicorns.  I think it was all just on the edge of "M's" comfort zone.  I think he was relieved that Mrblocko was there to help balance out all that estrogen.

Blockette and I made paper buntings to decorate our garage.  We made a bunting that had 6 suns, one that had 6 rainbows, and one that had 6 clouds.  (I finally found a use for some of the T-shirt yarn I made last year.  It was perfect for bunting string, and to rope off the driveway.) From the bunting I hung all the milk jug butterflies we made earlier that week with a single strand of embroidery floss.  I'm bummed that I didn't get a good picture of them.  I also forgot to give them out at the end of the party.  (Anyone want a milk jug butterfly?)

The morning of the party it was pouring.  I wasn't quite sure how we were going to do ALL the games inside the garage, but I figured we'd just make it up as we went along.  That morning weather.com said there was a 50% chance of rain...until after her party was over.  DOH!  But, luckily, it stopped raining, and the sun even came out enough to dry up all the huge puddles in the front yard.  (The backyard was still a muddy lake, but that was no surprise.)

We played lots of games, although I think toss a water balloon at Mrblocko was their favorite game.  We also made sharpie tie dye shirts, which I will write more about later, and decorated cupcakes.  OK.  That was most likely the kids favorite thing.  They had M&M's, sprinkles, jimmies, marshmellows, blue sugar, and gold gel icing to decorate with.  Although, I'm sure more of the decorations went into their mouths than on the actual cupcakes.  (And that is saying something!)

The kids were surprised when they bit into their cupcakes to discover all the colors inside. It was a bit fussy, but not nearly as much trouble as the disaster of a rainbow cake that I made two years ago.  The exclamations from all the kids was worth the effort to make the cupcakes.  I'd definitely make them again.

I wish I'd taken more pictures of the party itself, but Mrblocko and I were too busy making sure all the kids were having fun.  I'm so glad Mrblocko was there to help.  Things would not have gone half as well if I'd been there by myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!