Friday, August 12, 2011

Corn Dog Muffins

I made these corn dog muffins from a recipe I found on Heavenly Homemakers way back in June for Relay for Life.  I wanted something quick and portable for us to eat in between talking and walking.   Blockette just loves room temp corn dogs, so I figured this hand sized version would be perfect for us to chomp on the go.       

The muffins were just ok. I made way more than I needed, and the muffins sat out all night so I ended up pitching the leftovers, just to be safe.  It was a really buggy night and who knows what sort of meal or home the cooties had made in the corn dogs.

I think the cornbread recipe was just a bit too healthy tasting to be a winner.  I don't think I'll make the healthy whole wheat version again.  Whole wheat in cornbread, well, just doesn't taste right.

I'm not ready to scrap this recipe completely yet.  I think this recipe would be a total winner if I used Jiffy cornbread mix to make the muffin part.  Also I think chopping up the hotdogs so that each bite has a bit of hot dog in it, instead of just the center, is the way to go as well.  I'll give those things a try next time!

Corndog muffins from Heavenly Homemakers
2 cup cornmeal
2 cup whole wheat flour
2 t. baking powder
2 t. salt
4 eggs
4 T. honey
1/2 cup melted butter
2 cup buttermilk

8 hot dogs
24 muffin papers to line muffin pans.

Mix up the cornbread. Cut hot dogs into thirds. Scoop cornbread batter into the paper lined muffin cups. Place 1/3 hot dog into each muffin. Bake at 400 ° until golden brown. Serve right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!