Saturday, August 20, 2011

'11 (Un)happy Dance #17: Clay Medals

I found this recipe for clay at about.com.  I thought it would be another fun project for Blockette and I to do while we were in the midst of a heatwave.  The intent was to make the clay into medallions and paint them.  Then we would make them into medals as prizes for kids at her birthday party.
Like I said, that was my intention. We made them and painted them and I even sealed them with gold sparkly nail polish. Which I thought would seal them. There I go, thinking again. I set them in our 3 season room to dry. After a few days, I brought them inside so they could be strung with ribbon.

It was so humid outside that they got soft and squishy.  Almost as squishy as they had been when we first made the clay.  So please learn from my mistakes and don't make homemade clay when it's pushing 100 and the humidity is in the 80's.

Blockette was absolutely devastated that all our hard work was for naught. I was pretty bummed too.  I thought about buying some different kind of clay at the craft store, but the wind had gotten knocked out of my sails on this project.  So the kids are getting stickers as prizes instead.

2 comments:

  1. All that hard work. No wonder you two are bummed. Could you maybe baked them in a warm oven at around 180 degrees?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was afraid that they would just get mushy again so we pitched them. The stickers were a huge hit though!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!