Monday, February 7, 2011

My New Favorite Hot Chocolate

Not only have I ruined myself with homemade marshmallows. I have now ruined myself from hot chocolate mixes. Hot toffee chocolate from the Family kitchen is now my new favorite hot chocolate. And the kicker, I didn't even use "good" chocolate, just plain old everyday Toll House chips.

Yeah there are people out there that rant on and on about how fancy chocolates like Scharffen Berger or Valrhona make for a hot chocolate to die for. I'm sure they are right. If I'm gonna shell out the big bucks for chocolate, I want to eat it not drink it.

Luckily, with this hot chocolate, I didn't need anything fancy. I even used skim milk, not whole milk or cream like most hot chocolate recipes call for. So hey, it's almost sorta healthy...if you squint and hop on one foot. Which I choose to do. This particular cup happens to have been Mrblocko's. See that hand in the picture? That's his. It's almost like he's guarding it. I think that he thought I might steal his. Not that I would ever do a thing like that.

And the marshmallows...look how they are all melty. I remember store bought marshmallows doing that as a kid. They always made the hot chocolate extra creamy and delicious. The store bought marshmallows today retain their shape no matter how much you abuse them. It's a little scary. What do they put in there that makes them do that? I think it's best if I don't think about it.

Hot Toffee Chocolate from Family Kitchen
4 cups milk
2 oz butterscotch chips
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons sugar
a very small pinch of salt
toffee chocolate chips (Heath chips)
whipped cream

Place chocolate and butterscotch chips in the food processor. Pulse until they are fine. Place milk in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add chocolate and butterscotch pieces. Add salt and sugar. Whisk well and simmer for 3 – 4 minutes, or chocolate is completely melted. Serve topped with whipped cream and toffee pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!