Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Peach Couscous Fail

Yeah, I'm not batting 100 these days. I think maybe I'm loosing my touch. I saw this recipe for Peach Couscous in Family Feasts for $75 a Week by Mary Ostyn. I thought it would be a nice change of pace at breakfast. Plus a quick hot breakfast on a brrr freezing cold morning is never a bad thing. Well, it wasn't BAD, it just wasn't good. Blockette ate it about as well as she eats any other meal. Strangely there was very little fighting with her to get to eat. Mrblocko and I ate it I think because we were too lazy to go and make ourselves something else to eat. At least I was.

The good thing about this breakfast was that it kept me full until lunch. I didn't get the 11:00 munchies like I usually do. Mrblocko said that didn't happen for him, but he wasn't any more hungry than normal either.

One thing I didn't understand about this recipe is that it was from a book that claims you can feed your family for $75 a week. OK. That's great. The author must have some great source on couscous. The only couscous I can seem to find is Near East brand that comes in a box. It's not the cheapest thing ever. It's certainly not cheaper than cereal. I didn't buy the couscous with the intention of making peach couscous for breakfast. I had a box in the pantry that I had bought some time ago with the intention of making a cold couscous salad. I don't like to eat cold salads in the winter so I figured this breakfast dish would be a good way of using up the couscous before it expired.

If you think Peach Couscous would be up your alley, here's the recipe:

16 oz can peaches, drain and reserve liquid
milk, enough to total 2 c when combined with peach juice
1 c uncooked couscous (this is one box of Near East couscous, sans flavor packet)
2 T butter
1/2 t nutmeg
2 T Brown sugar, plus more for serving

In a small pan heat the juice and milk to simmering. Add the remaining ingredients except for the peaches. Stir to combine and cover. Remove from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 5-10 minutes. The liquid should be absorbed. Portion into bowls and top with peaches and brown sugar. Serves about 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!