Monday, July 25, 2011

Whole Wheat Pizookies

Last fall I saw a recipe for pizookies somewhere in my vast internet wanderings. I thought "Man, those look good, but I don't have any ramekins to bake them in." I showed the recipe to Mrblocko and he had the nerve to turn his nose up at them. Can you believe it. He thought they looked gross. He actually told me that. Gross.

Harumph. Well I decided to ask for some little ramekins for Christmas anyhow. Someone, not Mrblocko, was nice enough to buy them for me. (Mrblocko is so mean. Wait, he bought me a stand mixer...strike that. I love you honey!)

Anyhow, I put the ramekins away after Christmas and promptly forgot about them.  That is until I saw the post on How Sweet it is about  whole wheat chocolate chip cookie bowls .  Time to break out those ramekins baby!
I mean it is whole wheat.  If a recipe has whole wheat in it, it's good for you.  How many times do I have to tell everyone that?  Good For You People.  Whole Wheat. YES!

The recipe was only supposed to only make 4 servings.   I used my large cookie scooper and made 3 servings with 2 scoops and 2 with 2.5 scoops. The 2.5 scoop servings were the perfect amount for Blockette and I to share for dessert.

The pizookies really must be served with vanilla ice cream.  It is mandatory.  You will be sorry if you don't.  I'll come over to your house and say neener neener and blow raspberries if you don't.  See...you don't want that kind of harassment.  Besides, may I remind you that this is a HEALTHY dessert.  Do you really get enough dairy in your diet.  Probably not. So you NEED that ice cream.  Your bones will thank me.  Really, they will. 

The timing on this dessert was perfect as well.  I stuck them in the oven just as we started eating.  They only need to bake for about 18 min, so by the time we were finished eating dinner, they were the perfect temperature to eat. (Even for the picky 5 year old who usually likes things room temp or cooler.)

While we were eating dessert, I mentioned how I asked for the ramekins for Christmas specifically to make this dessert.  Do you know what my husband said?  Do you?  He said, "How come you waited 6 months to make these?"

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie Bowls from How Sweet it is makes 4 ramekins (3 1/2 x 2)
1 stick butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Sift whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt together and set aside in a bowl.
Cream butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until it’s light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Spray 4 oven-safe ramekins with non-stick spray and divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Press the dough into the ramekin – each one should have about 1/3-1/2 cup dough. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the middle is still slightly gooey. Set aside and let cool for 5 minutes until they can be handled then serve with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!