Monday, November 26, 2012

Pumpkin Cornbread

 These pumpkin cornbread from Sweet Peas Kitchen were amazing!  They are slightly sweet version of cornbread.  I couldn't taste the pumpkin itself, but the molasses, nutmeg and cinnamon make the cornbread smell like Autumn.

I served these along side this chili.  I made one small change to the chili recipe though.  I added a cup of pumpkin!  With all the flavors in that chili, no one was the wiser.  Hooray!  Extra veggies for everyone.

I was surprised that this cornbread recipe resulted in a dry crumbly sort of cornbread.  Usually when I bake with something like pumpkin, the resulting food product is super moist.  I wasn't upset that the cornbread was on the crumbly side, it was just unexpected.  Crumbly is actually good when you're dunking it in chili. Then all the little bits fall in the chili...yum!

This recipe will get made again for sure, and not just as a side to chili.  I'd totally make these for breakfast, they were that tasty!

One more thing.  You can totally make this recipe in a 8x8 pan.  I prefer cornbread in muffin form, so that's what I went with.  Muffins are easier to portion out, as I cannot cut a straight line.  Someone always complains that they got the "small" piece.  With muffins, I just use a large cookie scoop of batter per muffin cup and everything is nice an equal.  I've also found that muffins are easier for Mrblocko to transport to work than the sliced counterparts. 

This recipe does make 12 muffins.  Gnomes snatched a cornbread muffin before I could take a picture. 

Trixie little gnomes.

Pumpkin Cornbread from Sweet Pea's Kitchen
1c flour
1 T baking powder
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t t nutmeg
1/2 ct brown sugar
1 c cornmeal
2 eggs
1 c pumpkin puree
1/4 c olive oil (I used canola)
1 T molasses

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8×8″ cake pan. (or line 12 muffin cups)  In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, spices, brown sugar, and cornmeal; set aside. In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs, and then stir in pumpkin, oil, and molasses. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until combined, and then pour batter into pan, smoothing the top. (or use a large cookie scoop to portion out batter for muffins.) Bake 25-30 (10-15 for muffins) minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. Making these for dinner tonight. Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed them. I really need to make these again now that the weather is cold and windy again.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!