Sunday, October 19, 2014

30 Days of Pumpkin-Day Eighteen: Pumpkin Indian Pudding

I'd never made Indian pudding before.  As far as I can tell, it's called Indian pudding because it was a colonial variation on the British version of Hasty Pudding.  Hasty Pudding was traditionally made with wheat, but as corn was more readily available in the new world, the settlers used that instead.

Sadly, something went terribly wrong with my hasty pudding.  It got a nice pudding skin on it, but it never ever set up.


Oh sure it looks like it set up in the above photo...alas it did not.  It was a great big ole soupy mess.  I even tried baking it for longer.  After an hour in the oven, the top started to get too dark for my liking.

The recipe says to let it sit for 15 min.  I let mine sit for 2 hours.

No dice.

It was still as soupy as ever.

Not ever having Indian or Hasty pudding before, I'm not sure if that was how it was supposed to look.  I'm going to guess from pictures on the blog "Kelly Bakes" that it was supposed to be much less soupy than my version.  In her pictures, the dish looks like a soft, slightly under baked version of cornbread.

Luckily Blockette did not see this disaster.  She would have likened it to something the cat leaves behind after it makes a hurky noise. 

The dish tasted OK.  Mrblocko wouldn't even try it.  The consistency of the dish just threw him.  It was a bit much for me as well, so the dessert met an untimely end with the garbage can.

I can't figure out where I went wrong.  The original dish looks and sounds great.  If you'd like to attempt the dish, head on over to Kelly Bakes for the recipe.  Let me know if you have better luck than I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!