Wednesday, October 15, 2014

30 Days of Pumpkin-Day Fourteen: Brownie Pumpkin Pie

I'm calling this Brownie Pumpkin Pie, from Brooke Bakes, a pie because I baked it in a pie pan.  It doesn't have a traditional pastry crust.  This pie consists of a brownie base and a pecan crumble topping with a thin layer of pumpkin pie filling sandwiched in the middle.  Seriously, it's three desserts in one.


Mrblocko said it was to be put on the make again list.  He rarely says this about any dessert I make.  Yeah, he's one of those freaky people who isn't into sugar.  At least he's not into sugar like I am. (For the record, I'm into sugar like I'm into breathing.)


I made zero changes to the recipe ingredient wise.  I did have to bake it longer than the 40 min suggested on the recipe.  It was difficult to tell when the brownie was cooked completely.  The toothpick test was inconclusive due to the soft middle pumpkin layer.  I decided it was done when the dessert pulled away from the pan and the top stopped looking shiny.  If I were to change one thing about this recipe it would be to add some coconut to the topping and some chocolate chunks to the brownie base.  Neither of these are necessary, but I think it would send this dessert over the top.  Then again, a big ole scoop of caramel or cinnamon ice cream would too!

Pumpkin Brownie Pie from Brooke Bakes
Brownie layer:
1 c canned pumpkin
1/2 c plus 3 T sugar
1/4 c coconut oil, softened - You can substitute veg or canola oil (I used veg oil)
1 1/2 t vanilla
3/4 c flour
1 T cornstarch
1/4 c dutch processed cocoa powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda

Pumpkin Layer:
1 c canned pumpkin
1 t. vanilla
2 T almond or soy milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
1/3 c sugar
2 T cornstarch
2 t pumpkin pie spice (or 1 1/4 tsp. cinn, 1/2 t. ginger, 1/4 t. nutmeg)

Pecan Topping:
1/4 c margarine
1/2 c brown sugar
1/3 c flour
3/4 c roughly chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease a 9" pie pan or 8x8" square baking pan.

For pumpkin brownie layer, together pumpkin, sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla in a large bowl until well combined. Add flour, cocoa , cornstarch, baking soda, and salt and mix until smooth. Pour  brownie batter into the prepared pie pan and spread it around evenly with a spatula.

For pumpkin pie layer, mix pumpkin, vanilla, and milk in large bowl. In small bowl, mix  cornstarch, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and mix well until all clumps are gone. Pour pumpkin filling on top of brownie mixture in pan. Spread evenly with a  spatuala.

For pecan topping, mix margarine, br sugar, flour, and pecans in a small bowl until combined. Sprinkle evenly on top of pumpkin layer.

Bake 35-40 min (I needed 55min), then remove from oven and cool for 20-30 min on wire rack. Move to fridge to chill for at least 1 hr before slicing and serving. Can be served warm or cold. I thought it tasted best frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!