Tuesday, October 7, 2014

30 Days of Pumpkin-Day Six: Cinnamon Pecan Pumpkin Ice Cream

I really like cinnamony flavored ice cream.  I think I might actually prefer cinnamon ice cream on a slice of apple pie over a piece of chocolate cake.

 I know!
You didn't think it was time for shocking confessions. Did you?

However much I love ice cream, it does not love me.  I'll be naughty every once and a while and have some, but no more than a single scoop...or I'll be doubled over in pain.

So, in order to save myself a literal butload of pain, I'm always on the lookout for a good non dairy ice cream recipe.

I found this recipe for a Creamy Pumpkin Smoothie from Oh She Glows that I thought I could adapt into something fun and autumnal.  I added extra cinnamon, cinnamon chips, coconut and pecans.


The resulting concoction was good, but I messed up.  Instead of just placing the mixture in the freezer I should have churned it in the ice cream maker.  The ice cream that was placed directly into the freezer still tasted good, but the texture had ice crystals in it.  If you churn this in an ice cream maker that won't happen.  It will be nice and smooth like a good ice cream should.


Cinnamon Pecan Pumpkin Ice Cream adapted from Oh She Glows
2 c unsweetened almond milk
heaping 1/2 c rolled oats
1 c pumpkin
1/2 T molasses
2 frozen ripe banana- sliced into coins
3  t cinnamon
3/4 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground nutmeg
2 T maple syrup
1/2c cinnamon chips
1/2c salted pecan pieces
1/2 c sweetened flaked coconut

In med bowl whisk milk and oats. Place in fridge for 1 hour or preferably overnight. Add soaked oat mixture to food processor with pumpkin, molasses, frozen banana, maple syrup and spices. Blend til smooth. Slowly add to ice cream maker and blend per machine instructions.  Fold in chips, nuts and coconut.  Eat immediately for soft serve ice cream or chill for 1 hour for a more firm ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!