Friday, October 10, 2014

30 Days of Pumpkin-Day Nine: Pumpkin Tortillas

Pumpkin tortillas you say?  Don't they taste weird and vegetable-y?  Nope!  Not at all.  I could not taste any flavor from the pumpkin, just tortilla goodness.


What is different about these tortillas, aside from their yellow orangish color, is that they are a bit thicker and less pliable.  They'd be a bit tricky to roll into enchiladas, but are perfect for quesadillas.  Which is, of course, how I ate them.  All of them.  I ate the entire batch by my onsies.  Yup, guilty as charged, but not feeling a bit guilty about it at all. 

Hey, it's not like Mrblocko or Blockette could take a quesadilla with them to work or school.  I mean I guess they could.  Personally, I don't think cold melted cheese is all that wonderful.

But this isn't about me and how many pumpkin tortillas I ate in one sitting.  This is about you.  Make some for the people you love, even if that person is you!

Pumpkin Tortillas from Cook. Play. Explore.
1 c flour
1 c whole-wheat flour 
1 t baking powder
½ t salt
1 T olive or canola oil
1/4 c pumpkin purée
warm water

Combnie flour, baking powder, and salt . Drizzle oil over dry ingredients and blend well. Measure pumpkin into liquid measuring cup. Add warm water until total volume is 3/4 c. Whisk together with a fork until combined. Add pumpkin and water mix to dry ingred, a spoonful or two at a time, mix in, and repeat until  dough starts to come together in a shaggy ball. You might need a little more or a little less water. (It was really dry in my house when I made this and I needed an additional 1/4c water.)

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead for few min til smooth and elastic. (Rubbing oil on your hands will help prevent dough from sticking.) Divide into 8 to 10 pieces and roll into balls—about the size of ping-pong balls. (I made 8.)  The dough will be much easier to roll if you let it rest for 10-20 min, covered with plastic wrap. Heat skillet over med heat. Roll  ball of dough out into a very thin circle, about 7-8".

Put rolled-out dough onto heated skillet and cook for about 15 seconds  you should see some puffy spots and browning. Shake the skillet a little to slide the tortilla around if it gets too puffy. Flip every 15 to 20 seconds—it shouldn't take more than a minute or so. (I had to do a minute on each side)

Wrap cooked tortillas in kitchen towel to keep warm and soft, or store in a tortilla warmer while you cook the remaining tortillas. If you have leftovers, store them for up to a week in fridge in a zip-top bag or airtight container, or in freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!