Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Last Egg

Have you ever boiled up a bunch of eggs for Easter, but by the end of the week you are just sick of eating them? By that time there isn't enough to make something delicious like egg salad, or deviled eggs. Oh sure, you could boil up some more eggs, but the last thing you want to do is have more hard boiled eggs are sick of looking at them. Here is the perfect use for those last 1 or 2 straggler eggs: Chocolate chip cookies.

Yeah you heard me...cookies. I turned my nose up at the idea when I read about it here http://www.cookiemadness.net/?p=3016 on Cookie Madness. I tried it and they were delicious!

This recipe calls for a food processor and I highly recommend using one. I happen to have the tiniest food processor in the planet so I had to blend the butter and flour, empty the processor, then combine the egg and sugars. It worked though. I ended up adding 3 handfuls of chips vs. the 1 handful the recipe originally called for. I like my cookies chocolatey. The chips added so much volume that I made 5 huge cookies instead of 4. I tasted the cookies both before and after freezing them. They were definately better after freezing.

This cookie is not for you if you are a member of the crispy cookie club. The texture is chewy, almost like a dense raw cookie dough. Mrblocko wondered if the cookies were cooked properly and my reply was, "Well there is no raw egg so who cares." I liked the fact that they were cookie dough-ish. Were these my favorite chocolate chip cookie? No, but they were tasty just the same. I'd definately make these again when I have an extra hard boiled egg I wanted to get rid of.

Hard Boiled Choc Chip Cookies from Cookie Madness
1 1/3 c plus 2 T flour
4 ounces  cold unsalted butter
1/2 t salt
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 c plus 2 Tsugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1 hard boiled egg, shell removed
1/4 t vanilla extract
handful of chocolate chips

Combine flour and butter in food processor. Pulse til  mealy and coarse. Add salt and baking soda. Pulse to mix. Add both sugars and hard boiled egg. Pulse again til mealy looking. Add vanilla. Pulse til just come together. Dump into bowl, add chips. shape into 4-5 balls. Will see egg whites in dough – will disappear as cookies bake.Bake 350 F. for 20 min til lightly browned around edges. Cool on sheet 5 min then transfer to rack to finish cooling.Important: Let cool completely before serving. Texture gets better as cookies cool. Even better if  cool cookies, freeze, then thaw.
Makes 4 big cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!