Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Taco Pockets

I think I've had a revelation as to why pictures on other people's blogs look so nice, (aside from the fact that they are better photographers,) they actually take time to plate the food in a visually appealing way. Well, I was just too hungry last night to even make a lame attempt. I got this recipe from Taste of Home where they are called Taco Crescents.

When I told Blockette I was going to make Taco Crescents for dinner she wrinkled her nose and said, "I don't like Taco Crescents." As I assembled this dish I scrambled for a way to convince her that she should at least try some of the "new" dinner. I thought to myself, they look sort of like a pocket. Blockette loves pockets. I bet she would eat this if I told her it was a Taco Pocket. Heh...I was right. I even got her to eat black olives, something she usually spits out. As she was eating a Pocket she asked me what the black "stuff" was. I replied as nonchalantly as I could, "Oh, that's just part of the taco." Several bites later she tells me, "Mommy, I like this black taco part."

I would make these again. They were a little tricky to roll up without having the ground beef fall out. If I had been thinking I would have pressed 2 crescent triangles into a rectangle. However, the crescents were perfect size for Blockette to eat without making a mess. Had I made them into rectangles, they would have been stuffed fuller. I would be willing to bet most of the meat would have wound up on the floor instead of in Blockette's belly.

It will be interesting to see how these fare as leftovers. Cold crescent rolls aren't nearly as tasty as the ones fresh from the oven.

Taco Pockets from Taste of Home
3/4 pound ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 package (1-1/4-ounces) taco seasoning
1 can (4-1/4-ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tubes (8-ounces) tubes refrigerated crescent rolls

In large skillet, cook beef and onion til meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and olives; set aside to cool. Add eggs and cheese. Unroll crescent roll dough and separate into triangles. Place triangles on an ungreased sheet. Place 2 T meat mix onto each triangle. Roll and shape into crescents. Bake at 375° for 10-15 min til lightly browned. 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!