Monday, December 6, 2010

Crock pot Mashed Potatoes

I don't know what happened to the photo of my mashed potatoes. I could have sworn that I uploaded it. Nope and silly me, I deleted all the thanksgiving pictures from my camera. Wasn't that smart?

If any picture from thanksgiving were to get accidentally deleted, I'm glad it was only this one. The potatoes didn't look any different than any other mashed potatoes. They were just a bowl of creamy starchy goodness.

These potatoes turned out a bit runnier than I prefer, but that may have been because I had to bump up the cooking from low to high in order to insure that the potatoes were mashable by the time the rest of the food was done. I still can't figure out how the turkey wound up fully cooked a full hour ahead of what it should have been.

Even though the potatoes weren't "stick your spoon in the bowl and have it stand up on it's own" thick I didn't hear any complaints from the peanut gallery. The leftovers, and this recipe makes a lot of mashed potatoes, were eaten up happily. At one point I commented that Blockette, who has never expressed an interest in mashed potatoes, was scraping the last bits of potato off her plate with her fork. She replied, "Yeah, I like these potatoes mom. I just don't like the potatoes at IKEA." Um. OK. A weird reply, especially since we've only eaten at IKEA once. Then again, if you know my kid, she is a weird one. (Yeah, I know, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.)

This recipe was chosen specifically because it was prepared in the crock pot. I didn't want to have to do a lot of babysitting in the kitchen over thanksgiving, and I figured a dump and go recipe would be an awesome way to do that. It was. I'll make these again for a big meal where lots of dishes are being made on the stove at the same time. It's a great way to free up a burner so all your food can arrive warm on the table.

The recipe can be found over at lynn's kitchen adventures.

p.s.I wasn't going to say anything, but I've changed my mind at the last minute. Someone commented over at Lynn's Kitchen Adventures sort of poo-pooed this recipe. They complained that the potatoes looked lumpy and that the sour cream and cream cheese took away from the natural flavor of the potatoes. My reply to that is, so use a hand mixer to blend the potatoes so they are smooth, and omit the sour cream and cream cheese. I don't know anyone who can get smooth mashed potatoes without an electric beater. I happen to like lumpy mashed potatoes. I also like my potatoes with sour cream. Yes, the calorie count is high with this recipe, but this is not an every day sort of recipe, and Lynn never claims this to be a "healthy" recipe. If you want "healthy" mashed potatoes, don't add anything and swap out half the potatoes for cauliflower.


Crockpot Mashed Potatoes from Lynn's Kitchen Adventures
6-8 potatoes
1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
¾ cup milk
½ cup sour cream
4 ounces cream cheese

Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch chunks. Place potatoes in a crockpot with chicken broth and milk. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until potatoes are tender. When potatoes are tender mash well with sour cream and cream cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!