Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sour Cream Apple Pie

Sour cream??? In a pie?? That sounds so weird. I was feeling daring, and wanted to try something different for Thanksgiving. (Finally...the last of the Thanksgiving posts!) I had one single pie crust left over from the last pie crust I made earlier, so a pie with a crumble top seemed like a great idea.

I had a slight panic moment when I rolled out the thawed dough from the freezer and it stuck to the wax paper. I just stuck the dough back in the fridge for 10 minutes and it released a whole lot easier.

This photo was supposed to show the creamy center of the pie. I realize that it isn't the best picture but you can see the white in the filling.

Surprisingly, you could not tell that there was sour cream in this pie. Both Mrblocko and I had Blockette convinced that the white stuff was Cool Whip, even though Blockette watched me make the pie. (Cause Blockette couldn't possibly like anything with Sour Cream in it. Sour cream is SoUR and therefor gross.)

The crumb topping is just awesome on this pie. I think the ratio of topping to filling is spot on. I think I may have improved on perfection by swapping the white sugar for brown sugar. Trust me people brown sugar is THE way to go for the topping.

We ate our slices with a small scoop of ice cream. Was this necessary? No. Was it delicious? Ohhhhh yeah. There was much sadness when the pie was gone, and it was gone much too quickly than was good for us. I'll definitely be making this pie again, especially when I have a single crust hiding in the freezer begging to be used.

If you want to step out of the box and into deliciousness, head on over to taste and tell for the sour cream apple pie recipe.

Sour Cream Apple Pie from Taste and Tell
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups apples, peeled and sliced
2/3 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter

Stir together 2 Tflour, salt, 3/4 c sugar and nutmeg in bowl. Combine egg, sour cream and vanilla in another bowl; mix well. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in apples and spoon mixture into unbaked or par-baked pie shell (depending on preference). Bake 400 F for 15 min. Reduce to 350 F  and bake 30 min. Remove pie from oven. Increase temperature to 400F. Combine 2/3 c sugar, 2/3 c flour and 2 t cinnamon in bowl. Cut in 4 Tbutter until crumbly, using a pastry blender. Sprinkle crumb topping over pie. Return to oven and bake 10 min more. Cool on rack.

1 comment:

  1. This is definitely my favorite apple pie recipe - I'm so glad you liked it!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!