Monday, January 24, 2011

Crockpot Marmalade Curry Chicken

I have not been a fan of curry in the past. So why in the world did I think, hmm this recipe looks like it might taste good? Maybe it was the idea of the spicy and the sweet, or it was quick and easy in the crockpot, or maybe because I always have great results with recipes from a year of slow cooking. Whatever the reason was, I'm sure glad I ventured out of my comfort zone.I decided to shred my chicken. As you can see, my chicken never got that nice brown color that is featured over at A Year of Slow Cooking. So what. It was still delicious. Shredding the chicken just let more of the meat soak up the yummy juices.

We ate ours with a big bowl of rice and a side salad. There were loads of leftovers that reheated nicely in the microwave. I thank all the juices for that. I must have had some really liquidy marmalade. I don't know why else there would have been so much sauce in the crockpot. I'm going to get the same marmalade the next time I make this because I really liked having all that extra sauce.

Since this was such a success, I think I may have to re-evaluate my decision to dislike curry. I'm not going to automatically disqualify a recipe on the basis that curry is one of the ingredients any more. If you are afraid/unsure of curry, like me, I think this is the perfect way to get your feet wet into a new flavor realm.

Slow Cooker Marmalade Curry Chicken from A Year of Slow Cooking
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves or thighs
1 (18-ounce) jar orange marmalade
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup chicken broth

Use a 4 quart slow cooker. Put the chicken into the bottom of your slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the marmalade with the dry spices and chicken broth. You'll end up with a slimy orange gel that smells like ginger. Pour this on top of the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours, or on high for about 4. If when fully cooked the chicken isn't quite as moist as you'd like, you can cut it into strips, then return it to the pot to soak in even more of the yummy sauce. Serve over brown basmati rice.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you enjoyed your meal! yay for getting your feet wet with curry. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!