Monday, January 31, 2011

January Reads: 2011

I've decided to keep track of the books I read this year. Sometimes I think I read a lot, but I was curious to find out if that was the truth or if I just read in spurts. I also tend to read a lot of Young adult and Youth fiction, which are pretty quick reads. So maybe I think I read a lot of books because the books I read are shorter. Anyhow, keeping a monthly track will help me see if I am really reading enough or if I should just turn off the TV a bit more.

I started out really strong at the beginning of the month but found that by the end I was more interested in TV or sewing. (That darn idiot box, and ask me if I've actually finished any sewing projects...sigh.)

1. Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay: My mom gave me this book to read ages ago and for whatever reason it took me until the beginning of January to get around to reading it. It was about the Concentration camps in Paris, France during WWII. (I thought they were only in Germany!) While this was a work of fiction, the book was based in fact. I devoured this book in a few days. (Adult Fiction)

2. A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz: The story of Hansel and Gretel interwoven into several bloody Grimms Brother's Fairy tales. (Youth book)

3. The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl by Ree Drummond.: A recipe book by one of my favorite bloggers. Most of the recipes are on her blog, but I enjoyed reading the little stories that accompanied the recipes. (Recipe book)

4. Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi: Alice in wonderland meets Wizard of Oz meets Star Wars meets Planet of the Apes. The book was slow going at first, but gets interesting half way through so hang in there. (Youth book)

5. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins: Book 2 in the Hunger Games Trilogy. Set in a futuristic Distopian version of the US where the teenagers from each district must fight in an arena to the death to insure the stability of government and society. I can't really say more than that without giving away what happened in book 1. I stayed up until midnight finishing this book. I thought it was that good.(Young Adult)

6. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins:Book 2 in the Hunger Games Trilogy. I read this the day after I read Catching Fire and subsequently ignored my family all day. (Young Adult)

7. More Make it Fast, Cook it Slow by Stephanie O'Dea: Another recipe book from a blogger I love. These are budget friendly crock pot recipes. Most of the recipes are in her blog, but a few aren't. All the recipes are gluten free. (recipe)

8. XVI by Julia Karr: set in a futuristic dystopian Chicago where girls must get a tattoo upon their 16th birthday. The tattoo is supposed to protect them but in reality merely advertises their sexual availability (and lack equality). The society is based on a caste system where moving up is virtually impossible. The government has their hands in every aspect of daily life, from implanted GPS trackers, to constant media bombardment, to the elimination of war, but also religion. Can you say 1984? (Young Adult)

I also skimmed several other cook books, but I decided not to write about them because I didn't find anything interesting in them. Plus skimming doesn't really qualify as reading, that's why they call it skimming instead of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!