Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mexican Ginger Pigs

I do not know why I have a pig cookie cutter. Aside from a circle, this is the only full size cookie cutter I own. Lucky for me, a pig shaped cookie is a very traditional shape for Christmas cookies.These Cochinitos, or mexican ginger pigs, are from the blog "I Really Like Food." (The blog entry also has a peanut butter gingerbread cookie that also looks interesting, but I haven't had the chance to test it out yet.) These Cochinitos are completely different from any gingerbread cookies I had seen before. This cookie really poofs up! I like how the piggie shapes look all plumped up after baking. It makes them seem more piggish.

The texture of these cookies are cake-y. It was a bit off putting because even though I knew they would be a soft cookie, my nose told me they were gingerbread and therefore would be crisp and crunchy. Once I got over the texture confusion in my brain, I realized that I did indeed like these cookies.

I got a lot of cookies from this recipe, enough for 2 different bake sales. (How I got volunteered to bake for two separate bake sales a day apart is something I'm still scratching my head over.) The cookies went well at the bake sale. A few people commented that they thought the pigs were cute with their curled frosting tails. Yet another great thing about pig cookie cutters...you can get away with minimalist decorating!

Will I make this recipe again? I'm still undecided. I did think the cookies were delicious, but I still prefer a crispier gingerbread. I'm going to keep an eye out and test a few other gingerbread recipes and see if I can't find one I like even better.

Mexican Gingerbread Cookies (Cochinitos) from I really like food
3 Cups all purpose flour
1 Tblsp powdered ginger
1/1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 Cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 egg
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
1tsp vanilla

glaze: 1 egg white blended with 1 Tblsp water

Preheat oven to 350. Sift dry ingredients. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Add the sour cream, egg, honey, molasses, and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients. The dough should be fairly moist. Refrigerate dough, covered for 1-2 hours. Roll it on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin 1/4 to 3/8" thick. Place on a parchment lined or greased cookie sheet. Lightly brush on egg glaze and bake 10-12 min til just firm to touch, and lightly browned.

2 comments:

  1. Where can I get the pig shaped cookie cutter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought my cookie cutter about 15 years ago at a place that is no longer in business. However, they have lots of cookie cutters on Amazon. The link below looks like the shape I have: http://www.amazon.com/PIG-Cookie-Cutter-3-5-B731/dp/B0054YPYRG/ref=sr_1_14?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1393254050&sr=1-14&keywords=pig+cookie+cutter

    It looks like amazon has lots of different styles! Happy piggie hunting. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!