Monday, January 31, 2011

Pulled Turkey in the Crockpot

Hey! Who's up for more Thanksgiving leftovers?! ME! Well, I actually made this about a month ago. (All that baking and posting about that STILL has me about a month behind! I'll catch up someday!) I thought it would be a great quick dinner.I found the recipe for BBQ pulled turkey in the crockpot from Family Kitchen. I wound up not really following the recipe at all. I thought that the original recipe was way too thick. I like a bit of extra sauce when we have pulled meat sandwiches. Since turkey is dry, I thought it would really benefit from a more saucy base to simmer in.

Yes, if you look at the photo there is a LOT of extra liquid. I knew that there would be leftovers. I don't know if you've ever experienced this, but cooked meat always soaks up more liquid in the fridge. I wanted to make sure that this dish did not get dry. I was glad for the extra juicy sauce because it prevented the meat from being dry even as reheated leftovers.

Here is my version of the recipe:

Crockpot BBQ pulled Turkey
3 heaping cups of leftover shredded turkey
1 c of BBQ sauce
1 clove of minced garlic
1 small onion, minced
1 T lime juice
1/4 c tomato paste
1/4 c ketchup
1/2 c water or chicken stock

Dump everything in the slow cooker. Simmer on low 2-4 hours. (Note if I had more BBQ sauce I would have used 1 1/2 c and omitted the paste and ketchup, but I only had one cup and had to improvise to get more sauce.) Serve on large hamburger buns. This meat also makes a great addition to quesadillas.

3 comments:

  1. I still have a bunch of leftover turkey in the freezer. I will be borrowing this idea as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, looks so good. Come on over and enter my first give away :)
    mickey
    http://monstermama-monstermama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you like the recipe! Dump and go Crockpot recipes are my favorite. If you've got frozen turkey you don't even need to thaw it. I'm always forgetting to defrost things and scrambling at dinnertime when the meat is a solid brick!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!