Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Crockpot Mulligatawny Soup

"No soup for you! One year!" If you are a Seinfeld fan, you know what I'm talking about, the Soup Nazi episode. There is this guy who sells the most delicious soups but he is super regimented and anal-retentive. If you don't order in the right way, you are S.O.L. on the soup. Through a series of events, one of the characters in the show, who was banned from his restaurant, gets a hold of his recipes. The fact that this character has his recipe for mulligatawny soup is the last straw and the Soup Nazi closes up shop.

I am not a fan of Seinfeld by any means, (Mrblocko will laugh at this because he knows how much I detest Seinfeld) but this is one of the few episodes I've watched. I find myself saying the episode catch phrase quite often. It's really quite annoying, but I can't help it. It is fun to say.

The funny thing is I'd never had mulligatawny soup before, and neither had Mrblocko. This particular recipe looked good so I thought, why not give it a whirl. Plus, Mrblocko actually likes Seinfeld so it was an easy sell purely on the soup Nazi factor alone.

I got this particular recipe for mulligatawny soup from a Year of Slow Cooking. I like it because it uses the crock pot. Apparently there is a REAL Soup Nazi and his recipe for Mulligatawny soup is all over the Internet. The "real" version has eggplant, peppers, potatoes and nuts. It might be worth giving a try someday, but I'm not quite sure about the eggplant. I'm not the biggest fan of eggplant, and neither is Mrblocko.

I made a few minor adjustments to the recipe. I used 2 chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs, since I prefer white meat. I also used brown rice because I didn't have enough white rice on hand. I cooked rice before hand because I knew that we would be getting home for a late dinner that night. Instead of letting the rice cook in the crockpot for a half hour, I put the precooked rice in and let it warm up for a few minutes while I prepared a salad.

The soup was a big hit and I plan on making it again. It makes a lot and freezes well.


Crockpot Mulligatawny Soup from A Year of Slow Cooking
2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen is okay)
1 cup peeled and chopped apple (mine were fuji)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 (15-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried minced onion flake
1/4 cup raisins
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons curry
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup long grain white rice (to add later)

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Put the chicken thighs into the bottom of your cooker, and add apple, carrots, the whole can of tomatoes, onion flakes, and raisins. Then add the lemon juice, spices, and broth. Stir to mix the spices. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. If you'd like, shred the chicken with two big forks, and stir in the uncooked rice. Flip to high for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!