Monday, August 29, 2011

Poor Man's Smores

I first saw this idea for cheater poor man's smores on brown paper packages. Instead of using graham crackers and chocolate bars, you assemble the smore with a fudge stripe cookie instead. Then the next day I saw basically the same thing using a digestive biscuit over at Cooking Dunkin Style.

Then when I went to the store, what did I find?  A container of oatmeal fudge stripe cookies for $.59 and mint fudge squares (Essentially a graham cracker square shaped girl scout cookie) for $.39!!!  Why were these treasures on clearance?  I have no idea, but they were absolutely perfect to use in these "poor man smores!"
Mrblocko wanted to be super lazy and just nuke them in the microwave, but I put the k-bosh on that. In order to do that the cookie would have to be nuked along with the marshmellow, and that would make the chocolate coating on the cookie too melty to eat.  So we toasted the marshmellows on the grill.

Silly me forgot to soak the skewers so they kept catching on fire, along with the marshmellows.  Blockette was upset that the marshmellows were charred.  I kept telling her that was what made them tasty.  Oh non believer.  What a fuss she put up until she had that first bite.  She should really know better than to second guess her mother when it comes to things like this.

It was a really hot day when we made these so these smores were a bit more messy on the fingers than the regular variety.  The mess was worth it.  If I can help it, and I can, I don't think I'll ever go back to ordinary smores again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!