Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Maple Bran Waffles

This is the picture you get when you have a crabby child eating her dinner. Then you tell her to not smile. Or Laugh. I mean it! Whatever you do. Don't. Smile.
Yeah, it works every time. She can't help but smile.
Look how hard she is trying NOT to smile. She has to look away so we won't see her smile.  Cause if we can't see her face then she isn't smiling.

Personally, I couldn't help but smile when I tasted these maple bran waffles from Dinner with Julie.  These were way too tasty to be make with whole wheat or bran.  Isn't that stuff supposed to taste nasty?  Shouldn't it taste like cardboard?  Not these waffles missy ma'am.  They are good.  Really REALLY good. I mean like you-can't-shut-up-about-them good.

I had got a good deal on real syrup a few months ago.  I've been hesitant to use the syrup because even on sale it was a bit on the pricy side.  But since I spent the money on it, I thought I should get over myself and use it already.

Not only did we use the syrup in the pancake batter, we used it on top of our waffles too!  This was the first time Blockette had actual real live maple syrup on her waffles.  At first, she said she didnt like it, especially after Mrblocko said the syrup was like the tree's blood.  Once I kicked Mrblocko under the table, and told Blockette removing the sap from the tree was just like when daddy gives blood, she thought it was the best thing ever.

I also thought the real syrup tasted "weird" at first.  I don't know that I've actually used maple syrup as Syrup for waffles or pancakes.  After a few bites, I realized that it was oodles better than the fake stuff.  Mrblocko and I agreed that we also used loads less than the normal corn syrup based pancake syrup.  I think the jury is still out if I am going to continue to buy the cheap stuff or splurge for the real thing.  If we use lots less, and consume less sugar in the process, is that worth the cost?  Lucky for me I have a while to make that decision.

As for the recipe itself, I used 1/2 c of wheat bran.  The recipe said 1/4-1/2 cup and I figured, it's was humid and I was trying to use up the wheat bran. Why not add the extra amount?  I didn't think it made the batter extra thick.  The batter was the perfect thickness for waffles, in my opinion.  I also used buttermilk powder instead of the real deal.  Instead of using water to reconstitute the buttermilk powder, I used skim milk.  The milk was going to go bad if it wasn't used up in the next few days, so I figured why not.  I don't know if adding milk and buttermilk added any extra special flavor to the waffles but it did save me from having to pitch spoiled milk.

Maple Bran Waffles from Dinner with Julie
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4-1/2 cup wheat bran or oat bran
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

In a large bowl, stir together the flours, bran, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the buttermilk, oil, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla and whisk until well blended. Preheat your waffle iron and spray it with nonstick spray or brush it with oil. Cook the batter according to the manufacturers directions (I cook about a ladleful in a thick Belgian waffle maker) until golden brown. Keep them warm in a 200F oven while you cook the rest. Makes 6-8 large waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!