Monday, August 15, 2011

Sweet Corn Hash

When I went to visit my mom in Minnesota over the Fourth of July, my uncle came over one night for dinner. He brought with him the most gifreekingnormous watermelon and 40 ears of corn.  Yes.  FORTY ears of corn.  Did I mention that there were only the 5 of us? And we were leaving the next day?  Can you say an excess of corn?

At dinner, we barely made a dent in the cornucopia of corn.  (Is that joke too corny for you?) (Groan.)  My mom already had a full refrigerator, so what on earth were we going to do with all that corn?  My mom gave a ton to her neighbor, and I took the kernels off of 10 cobs.

That's a lot of corn.  You don't realize how much corn is on an ear until you take it off the cob.  I think eating an ear of corn is no big deal, but put that same amount of corn on my plate and I feel overwhelmed by the yellow mound.  Needless to say, there wasn't enough room in our tiny cooler for all the corn, even off the cob.
I remembered this recipe for sweet corn hash that I saw over at Joy the Baker around Father's Day. It was a great way to use up that overabundance of corn. I made Mrblocko grill the potatoes outside so we wouldn't heat up the house by turning the oven on.  I also added crumbled browned sausage to the mix.  Eggs and toast on the side made the meal last us for a few days, which is always nice.

While I'd much rather eat corn on the cob, I'd make this recipe again in a heartbeat should I ever come in possession of another massive amount of fresh corn.


Sweet Corn Hash from Joy the Baker serves 2
1/2 to 1 pound potatoes, cut into chunks
Olive oil, salt, and pepper
1 small or 1/2 of a large onion, diced
2 fresh ears of sweet corn
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste

Place a rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place potatoes on baking sheet, and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 20-25 min, til tender and cooked through. While potatoes cooking, saute onions in a cast iron skillet, over med til tender and browned. Turn off heat and set aside until potatoes done baking. Slice corn off cob and chop parsley. When potatoes done baking, remove from oven and place in cast iron skillet with onions. Cook over low . Add corn and remaining 1 T butter, salt, and pepper. Toss til butter melted and corn is just warm. Remove from heat. Toss in parsley and serve.

4 comments:

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!